Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fable by Ralph Waldo Emerson

The mountain and the squirrel
Had a quarrel;
And the former called the latter "Little Prig."
Bun replied,
"You are doubtless very big;
But all sorts of things and weather
Must be taken in together
To make up a year
And a sphere.
And I think it's no disgrace
To occupy my place.
If I'm not so large as you,
You are not so small as I,
And not half so spry.
I'll not deny you make
A very pretty squirrel track;
Talents differ: all is well and wisely put;
If I cannot carry forests on my back,
Neither can you crack a nut."



I was particularly drawn to this poem because it is by Ralph Waldo Emerson, not only because he is one of my favorite poets, but also because he focuses on nature in a majority of his poems. This poem is about a squirrel and a mountain having a fight over who is better than the other. The mountain believes himself to be bigger and therefore better, but this is not necessarily true. The squirrel takes the wiser approach and states things that are good about himself and the mountain such as him being rather spry, and the mountain being able to bear forests on his back. I like this poem because it emphasizes the fact that even though one is smarter or more capable to do something than someone else, they are not necessarily better than the other person. Each person has their pros and cons, and no one should discount himself or someone else based upon them. Everyone has their place in the world; mountains serve to house forests, and squirrels help to plant them. Just remember, you are unique, just like everybody else. :)

1 comment:

  1. Really cute poem and great response. Like a lot of other lighthearted poem, it goes off of rather inane things and makes them witty and thought-provoking, as well as making good points about life.

    but sometimes, i despise uniqueness (college essays)

    ReplyDelete